Research: Michael Renov, Codes and conventions of documentaries

 


These are the codes and conventions of documentaries according to Michael Renov and his ‘Theorizing documentary’ concept. 

Much of his theory is broken down to the idea that documentaries are primarily used for propaganda, and to influence individuals on wide world issues, though those messages are conveyed by a single perspective. 

I thought this was an interesting take, I do believe that that a large amount of documentaries are used to shape peoples opinions, yet I feel this theory fails to recognise the power the format of documentaries can hold. Documentaries also require such a great amount of skill in all areas from writing, to filming, interviewing, editing, researching etc; and I feel Renov views docs as a primarily as a marketing tool, which I don’t 100% agree with.  

Codes and conventions link  was the link that I used for most of the information of this quick notes fact sheet. It was a good introduction into Micheal Renov’s theories. 

Media studies information website , I also used this website for additional information on this aspects of documentaries. 

Student information , I think this slide share was made by a media student also studying documentaries so I found some great information!


Comments

Popular Posts